Few weeks ago we started talking about what you can do to prepare for unemployment. What if you are currently in that situation? What can you do now to deal? With no time to waste, here are 5 things to do while you are unemployed:
- Apply for unemployment benefits, such as Employment Insurance (EI) in Canada, or Unemployment Insurance (UI) in the States. As it varies from person to person, make sure you contact your local government if you need assistance. An application takes around an hour to complete.
- Take care of the most urgent and important things and craft a plan to deal with it all. You might need to evaluate and organize the things in your life to map out what is the most important, usually it has to do with money and where it is coming from and where it is going. When you identify what is important, for an example, feeding your family vs family vacation to Dubai, you will be able to look at ways to cut back in certain areas of your life. Many of those sacrifices won’t be as easy as my example to identify, but if you prioritize things according to your values, you will be able to streamline everything until you find another job.
- Start updating your career portfolio. This includes your resume, cover letter and brushing up your LinkedIn account. Having these things organized will make it that much easier to start looking for jobs and subsequently, figuring out where you want to be placed in a corporation (entry level vs. middle management).
- Create a job search/application strategy for yourself. Have a way to organize all the job postings that you have applied to and which sites you have looked at. Having a strategy will keep you that much more organized when you are combing through hundreds and thousands of jobs and applying to just as many.
- Sometimes EI is just not enough. Be ok with taking on a temp. position with an agency. (I wrote a bit about the mentality here). These agencies typically work with large corporations that are always looking for people to work really short terms, around 3-9 months. Typically, they need people to deal with backlogs, maternity leaves, health and sicknesses, etc. Many of these positions are not glamorous, in fact if you have a Ph.D., working as an adminstrator is the last thing you want to do. However, I believe working something is better than doing nothing. If you are humble enough to do something ‘beneath you’, people will likely see that and help you get to another position that is more befitting of your education and experience.
As always, share with us your thoughts on this article, what you have found to be helpful to you while you were unemployed? Are these tips useful? Subscribe to HYPR Magazine for more articles like this one.
Why Valentine’s Day is Actually Designed for Singles
The holiday that we have all either come to love or hate, unsurprisingly, didn’t always revolve around cards and chocolates. The customs that we have all fallen into since we were kids, actually had very different origins than one would think.
Breaking down the holiday, there are actually many different facets that bring it all together. Various martyrdom stories are associated with different Valentine’s of the past. For the most part, the Catholic Church chose to honour them during the month of February, which then led to the naming of the annual celebration. Afterwards, it was all tied together with an ancient ritual celebrated by the Romans.
Lupercalia, the fertility festival, was a yearly celebration for the Romans in honour of the god of agriculture. According to myth, it was also a time to celebrate the Roman founders Romulus and Remus, who were both raised by a she-wolf. There were various aspects to the celebration, most of which, did not make the cut into the 21st century. One such practice involved cutting up animal hides into strips and dipping them into sacrificial blood. They were then slapped against the bodies of women, believing it would allow them to become more fertile for the year. Women would actually line the streets to have their turn as the progression passed through.
The fun part came towards the end, when singles throughout the city would pair off in honour of the festival through random selection via draw. Many times this resulted in successful marriages.
Today, the day is obviously celebrated a little differently, with no bloody whippings of animal hide required. People get to partake in the exchange of tokens of affections with their loved ones, and a plethora of money is spent trying to make that special someone in your life happy. After Christmas, Valentine’s Day is the second most popular holiday for sending cards to other people. Approximately 150 million cards are exchanged, and a total spending of $18.6 billion takes place every year!
So for those of you that will be single for this Valentine’s Day, don’t fret. In fact, relish in the fact that you’re not about to drop some mad cash on someone, just to say that you love them. Valentine’s Day can be a very exciting holiday when you have that significant other in your life, but remember, the day was originally for all the single people to hook up! So really, instead of being sad, what you should really spend the day doing is stripping apart goat hide and finding someone to smack it with…kidding.
Local Love for Local Laundry
As a stylist, a student, and super tired individual, I needed something simple. December is in full-swing. The holiday season has just begun. The weather is arguably way warmer in Calgary than I have ever witnessed in my lifetime; I have no complaints. It’s safe to say that this season I’ve fully embraced my city.
From the weather to the clothing, I’ve come full circle. More importantly, during this fine December I’ve taken it upon myself to shop locally.
I couldn’t be more ecstatic to have this opportunity to collaborate with HYPR Magazine and The Salt Co., to showcase Local Laundry’s new collection. With the brand being 100% established in Canada and that they also support a good cause, this season couldn’t get any better. With their goal to raise over $1 million for local Canadian charities, it’s something you can’t turn your back on.
Culture1 month ago
What Social Expectations of Men Do Guys Wish Didn’t Exist?
Opinion1 month ago
Three Ways to Turn Social Media Followers Into Paying Customers
Topics4 months ago
Local Love for Local Laundry
Instagram1 month ago
Three Ways to Grow on Instagram in 2018
Podcast12 months ago
Ep. 006 – Why I Dropped Out of School to Start HYPR Magazine
Startup2 months ago
What is Bitcoin?!
Editorial4 weeks ago
Why You Should Become a Cannabis Entrepreneur
News1 month ago
Why Drink Green Beer When You Can Just Smoke Some Green Instead?