There are certain pieces in your outfit that get more attention than others. Generally the suit itself is a fairly noticeable aspect. To the untrained eye, if you’re walking through downtown, suited and booted, the main aspects are enough to catch the attention of most people. But for those who appreciate the art behind a well dressed man, there is much more to the outfit than just the basics. This week, I hope to capture the importance of choosing the right socks. Yes, socks. It’s important, trust me!
Now your sock game can make or break a perfect outfit. There are certain rules that come with choosing which pair goes best with the outfit:
- Choose socks that best fit you. The last thing you want to do is pull them up every five minutes.
- When in doubt, choose black. It’s the most basic choice but still gets the job done.
- Take the style you are choosing into consideration when choosing the material.
- White socks with a suit? NO!
- Choose your socks so that the colour matches your tie.
- This can be quite tricky because there are various materials and patterns to choose from.
- Remember the final rule, match the colour of your socks to the colour of your tie.
- For black tie events, the classic black dress socks are your go-to.
- Alternatively, plain grey or navy provide the same result if you want to shy away from wearing black all the time.
- Patterned socks are a great alternative to the main three I described above. This adds a great pop to your outfit that people tend to notice.
- Patterned socks can come in a variety of designs and colours. The main colour of the socks should match your tie.
- Keep the main three, basic colours hidden and bring out the bright patterns or ankle socks!
- This is where you can have some fun with your outfit and add some extra flare to the overall look.
- Keep in mind that some sense of matching must still be done. Your socks should add character to the outfit, not make you look tacky and uninterested in how you present yourself.
- White socks are finally in play! White ankle socks work well with white trainers.
- Black socks aren’t the only choice nowadays. Play around with your outfit and match cool patterned socks accordingly.
- For your sake and for the sake of everyone who enjoys fashion, if your socks have a hole in them, it’s time to toss them in the garbage.
- In the small details behind a well put together outfit, others take note and respect the effort.
For more style tips and ideas, check out my Instagram @dysfunctionalwardrobe.