It’s not often that you get the joy of doing things outdoors at night when you live in Calgary, especially when it’s snowing for the majority of the year. However, for the few months of summer that we do get, they are jam packed with activities, and to top them all, we end the summer off with one of our biggest outdoor events, GlobalFest!
This year GlobalFest will be held from August 15th to August 26th, at Elliston Park, in Eastern Calgary. Entrance into the park will start at 6:00 pm and close off at 9:15 pm. Advance tickets are available from now until July 29th, get your general admission for only $15, or buy your Global Pass for $78 at participating locations or online.
If the simple allure of watching fireworks of any sort, let alone the phenomenal show that GlobalFest puts on, isn’t enough to get you out at night, here is a list of the top 5 reasons you should be going to GlobalFest this year:
- 2017 marks not only Canada’s 150th Birthday, but also, GlobalFest’s 15th Anniversary. In honour of this special year, GlobalFest will run for 6 nights, and all competing teams will be Canadian!
- The Sunbelt Rentals OneWorld Festival. Explore the cultural diversity that Alberta has to offer by coming early and walking through all the different cultural pavilions, food, and performances!
- The Human Rights Forum, presented by UNAC Calgary, an event put on to promote the diversity that can be found within our community. Take in the chance to hear from various speakers as they share their thoughts on issues of racism and discrimination. The Forum will run from August 8th to August 12th.
- Along with the firework show, your admission also allows you access to the Night Market, which will be set up on site. Participating vendors include: Arcane Coda, Caserex, Corabella Handcrafted Wirework Jewellery, Jungle Flare, Pup Town Paws Pet Supplies, and Tails of the Misunderstood Canine Rescue Society.
- 50/50 Raffles! Who doesn’t love the chance to potentially win thousands of dollars, while not having to put in any effort at all on your end! Keep an eye out for the tickets sellers, and your night might end in a bigger bang than the show!
The listing for the dates and participants are as follows:
Tuesday, August 15 – Western Canada
Thursday, August 17 – Prairies
Saturday, August 19 – Ontario
Tuesday, August 22 – Quebec
Thursday, August 24 – Atlantic Canada
Saturday, August 26 – Finale
This is a year you won’t want to miss! We look forward to seeing you all there. For more information, visit the official website.