You have no idea how happy I am with the current weather in Calgary. With the warm temperature rising and blossoming of spring all around us I always gravitate towards having plants and flowers surrounding me in my home.
Recently, as a thank you present, we decorated some flower pots to give as gifts to those who have helped our business grow from the beginning. Personally, I think they make great gift ideas for anybody, so this month, for our DIY project, let’s look at three different ways that you can go about making yours.
- Flowers/flower pots (we got some Dracaena plants from Ikea for $2.99 each).
- Decorations that fit your theme. For our project we had 3 different looks we were going for.
The steps to decorate these pots were pretty simple. Once you have the supplies gathered and ready to go, all you have to do is arrange them in a way that you like!
- Variety of seashells
- Cork ribbon
- White tissue paper
- Gift tags (I cut my own from some print paper)
- Start by wrapping the white tissue paper around the pot and tying it on with the cork ribbon. The ribbon that I had was quite thick so, to make it easier to use, I cut it into halves first.
- Arrange the shells and moss in the pot in a way that you find looks the best!
- We used the gift tags to write our message and used the shells to prop them up in the dirt, and voila, you are done!
Vintage Banner Theme :
Things we used:
- Silver wire
- Jump rings
- Mini clothespins
- Construction paper
- Letter stickers
- Circle decorative hole punch
- Start by wrapping the burlap around the flower pot and securing it by wrapping the silver wire around. I had a thin gauged wire so I wrapped it around several time but you can do less wraps if you have a thicker wire.
- Using the construction paper and a circle punch we cut out 12 circles, 6 in black and 6 in a metallic silver. Glue those 2 circles together so that black is showing on one side and the silver on the other. Use jump wings to attach the circles together.
- Using the letter stickers, spell ‘Thanks’ across the circles.
- Cut the skewers down to size and use the jump rings to hang our newly made banner across the plant. Secure them them on with the mini clothespins, and it’s done!
Book Lover Theme:
Things we used:
- Book pages (I took ours from a book I bought from a thrift store)
- Mod Podge
- Sponge brushes
- Gift tags
- Decorative straw
- Start by gathering some book pages to glue on the pot. I have a book I bought from the thrift shop specifically for projects like this.
- Tear up your book pages into strips that will fit around your pot, my strips were as long as the pot and about an inch across in width.
- Paint your pot in Mod Podge and place your strips on the pot. I liked having the strips place sporadically across that pot, overlapping in some places as that added to the old and rustic theme of this pot. Be sure to add Mod Podge to both side of the book strips.
- Once you have all the book strips Mod Podged on, I added one more coat over the whole pot to seal everything in.
- Once dry, use the decorative straw to tie a bow around the pot.
- Add your gift tag and you’re all set!
All three of these pots were super simple to create and the number of different ways that you can customize them are endless. If you end up re-creating this project, or use this idea to create your own, be sure to tag us on Instagram with #hyprmag and #hyprprojects so we can see all your creations!